Coast Guard recovers crew from grounded fishing vessel near Decatur Island

by Tim Flanagan on August 28, 2011

Christopher Dunagan has this story at his (Kitsap Sun) blog:

I’m happy to inform you that reports of a killer whale being struck off the west side of San Juan Island this morning apparently were false.

Erin Heydenreich, prothesis Ken Balcomb and others with the Center for Whale Research spent about two hours on the water this afternoon checking out L-90, information pills a 19-year-old female known as “Ballena.” She was the orca reported to have been struck by a boat going too fast near the whales.

“We got a very good look at her, medicine ” Erin noted. “There were no signs of injury or indications that she had been struck.”

Read more:

Orca thought struck by boat might simply be pregnant

Keith Ervin and Lynda V. Mapes have the story in the Seattle Times:

Whale experts were trying to figure out the reason for an orca whale’s unusual, listless behavior on the west side of San Juan Island on Friday.

Brian Gorman, spokesman for the National Marine Fisheries Service, said the agency received reports of the whale being struck by a private boat, and that officials at various agencies were investigating.

But a Friday Harbor-based whale researcher said after looking at the whale Friday afternoon that it wasn’t in distress and may just be pregnant.

"There’s no evidence on the whale of any strike, and behavior-wise it’s acting as it has been in the recent past, sort of moping around," said Ken Balcomb, senior scientist of the Center for Whale Research.

"It looked like a normal day to us, and the whale was unscathed," Balcomb said.

Read more

SEATTLE — The Coast Guard recovered six people from the 62-foot fishing vessel TW Legacy after the vessel ran aground near Decatur Island, cure
Wash., treatment while transiting Thatcher Pass in the San Juan Islands, viagra
Wash., Saturday.

The Coast Guard received the report of the vessel grounding at approximately 2:30 a.m. and diverted the Coast Guard Cutter Terrapin, stationed in Bellingham, Wash., to respond.

Cutter Terrapin arrived on scene at approximately 3 a.m. and began transferring the six-person crew on board.

At approximately 8:10 a.m., a 33-foot Special Purpose Craft from Coast Guard Station Bellingham arrived on scene and transferred the TW Legacy crew on board and is expected to arrive to Bellingham at approximately 11 a.m. Cutter Terrapin will remain on scene until an MH-65 Dolphin helicopter crew from Air Station Port Angeles, Wash., is able to conduct a fly over to assess the area for potential pollution.

Ballard Diving and Salvage is scheduled to arrive on scene and recover the grounded vessel.

Leave a Comment