Coast Guard, Dept. of Ecology continue to monitor fishing vessel wreckage for pollution

by Tim Flanagan on August 29, 2011

Christopher Dunagan has this story at his (Kitsap Sun) blog:

I’m happy to inform you that reports of a killer whale being struck off the west side of San Juan Island this morning apparently were false.

Erin Heydenreich, prothesis Ken Balcomb and others with the Center for Whale Research spent about two hours on the water this afternoon checking out L-90, information pills a 19-year-old female known as “Ballena.” She was the orca reported to have been struck by a boat going too fast near the whales.

“We got a very good look at her, medicine ” Erin noted. “There were no signs of injury or indications that she had been struck.”

Read more:

Orca thought struck by boat might simply be pregnant

Keith Ervin and Lynda V. Mapes have the story in the Seattle Times:

Whale experts were trying to figure out the reason for an orca whale’s unusual, listless behavior on the west side of San Juan Island on Friday.

Brian Gorman, spokesman for the National Marine Fisheries Service, said the agency received reports of the whale being struck by a private boat, and that officials at various agencies were investigating.

But a Friday Harbor-based whale researcher said after looking at the whale Friday afternoon that it wasn’t in distress and may just be pregnant.

"There’s no evidence on the whale of any strike, and behavior-wise it’s acting as it has been in the recent past, sort of moping around," said Ken Balcomb, senior scientist of the Center for Whale Research.

"It looked like a normal day to us, and the whale was unscathed," Balcomb said.

Read more

SEATTLE — The Coast Guard recovered six people from the 62-foot fishing vessel TW Legacy after the vessel ran aground near Decatur Island, cure
Wash., treatment while transiting Thatcher Pass in the San Juan Islands, viagra
Wash., Saturday.

The Coast Guard received the report of the vessel grounding at approximately 2:30 a.m. and diverted the Coast Guard Cutter Terrapin, stationed in Bellingham, Wash., to respond.

Cutter Terrapin arrived on scene at approximately 3 a.m. and began transferring the six-person crew on board.

At approximately 8:10 a.m., a 33-foot Special Purpose Craft from Coast Guard Station Bellingham arrived on scene and transferred the TW Legacy crew on board and is expected to arrive to Bellingham at approximately 11 a.m. Cutter Terrapin will remain on scene until an MH-65 Dolphin helicopter crew from Air Station Port Angeles, Wash., is able to conduct a fly over to assess the area for potential pollution.

Ballard Diving and Salvage is scheduled to arrive on scene and recover the grounded vessel. has this story from “UNIT 12”:

Unit 12, Halfmoon Bay has been fairly busy over the past few months with various call-outs on the water. – File Photo” src=”″ align=”right” />Canadian Coast Guard Auxiliary-Pacific, Unit 12, Halfmoon Bay has been fairly busy over the past few months with various call-outs on the water.

AUGUST 28, 2011

Canadian Coast Guard Auxiliary-Pacific, Unit 12, Halfmoon Bay has been fairly busy over the past few months with various call-outs on the water.

• On July 15, Unit 12 was tasked to assist in escorting a vessel with two people on board that was having motor trouble in Sabine Channel off Texada Island.

The Ken Moore, with three people on board, was tasked to take over escorting the distressed vessel into Secret Cove.

“The two people on board the escorted boat stated they were OK, but the coxswain required them to don personal flotation devices for safety,” said unit media liaison Drew McKee. “The coxswain also put a member of the Ken Moore’s crew aboard to assist in communication.”

By 6:15 p.m. the vessel was tied up in Secret Cove and the Unit 12 vessel returned to base.

• On July 20, Unit 12 was paged to assist a 12-metre sailboat that had hit a log and was taking on water at the north end of Welcome Passage.

The Ken Moore left her boat house at 12:35 p.m. with three crew members aboard and was alongside the vessel in distress at 12:55. The vessel was escorted to Madeira Marina where she was tied up.

Read more

David G. Sellars has this story in the Peninsula Daily News:

Click here to zoom...
[The 208-foot AVEC-208 is docked at Port of Port Angeles Terminal One North pier. Click on the camera icon below to see its pusher tug, hospital
the MV Cavek. — Photo by David G. Sellars for Peninsula Daily News.]

Two parts that become one pulled into the Port of Port Angeles last week to end a six-week voyage from the shipbuilder in Texas.

The pusher tug MV Cavek is 76 feet long, purchase
and her companion barge, AVEC-208, takes an additional 208 feet.

Together, the articulated tug and barge resemble a landing craft complete with bow loading ramp.

The two were built at Sneed Shipbuilding in Orange, Texas, and moored to the port’s Terminal One North on Tuesday.

According to Stacey Smith, manager of Vitus Marine in Anchorage, Alaska, the pair will be used to deliver fuel and freight for the Alaska Village Electric Cooperative (AVEC), an electric utility company that provides service to 53 rural communities in Western Alaska.

Read more

SEATTLE – The Coast Guard and Washington Dept. of Ecology continue to monitor the wreckage of the fishing vessel TW Legacy for pollution, prostate Sunday, after the vessel ran aground, Saturday, near Decatur Island, Wash.

The crew was safely recovered, but the vessel submerged and slid down an embankment to a depth of approximately 85 feet.

Ballard Diving and Salvage was contracted to contain any possible leaks and reduce the potential for pollution. A sheen was reported in the vicinity of the vessel and the owner confirmed that there was 50 gallons of diesel on board.

Sonar scans were conducted to determine the exact location of the vessel so divers can take measures to contain any possible release of pollution. There are currently no plans to recover the vessel.

Leave a Comment