Tim’s career priority: sea time

by Tim Flanagan on June 15, 2009

[We interrupt our regularly scheduled programming to bring you this special bulletin from Puget Sound Maritime publisher Tim Flanagan...]

I need sea time: Time aboard a vessel that is underway for a minimum of four hours at a time. Each of these constitutes a “sea day”, decease and I need 360 of them to obtain a 100-ton master’s license.

I’m out on my boat a lot, website but it turns out that most of my trips—the vast majority, in fact—are less than four hours in duration, underway. As a result, even with my 4500 offshore miles and all the yacht racing I did in the 1990s, I can probably only document about 100 “sea days”!

The only way to fill in this gap is to get a job aboard a boat.

Although I’m ready to accept a deckhand/OS position, a clever employer might find a way to exploit my shoreside strengths as well.

I have an extremely strong content management background—including content architecture, SQL data wrangling, writing, and editing. But beyond mere technical experience, I’ve developed a reputation among my colleagues as a “communication specialist”, the go-to guy when it comes to handling difficult or sensitive communications with customers, partners, or members of the media. Although I’ve not received legal training, I’m often consulted both by friends and by professional colleagues (some of them real lawyers!) on legal and contractual matters, due to my ability to identify, isolate, and analyze issues clearly, as well as my skill crafting powerful but diplomatic communications.

A resume is available on request. Previous employers include Microsoft, King Broadcasting, and the King County Department of Public Safety. Email me at tim [at] navagear [dot] com.

[We now return you to your regularly scheduled maritime news feed...]

{ 2 trackbacks }

TWIC enrollment: quick and painless
June 17, 2009 at 11:36 am
Merchant Mariner Credential application process: Quick, nearly pain-free!
June 29, 2009 at 7:24 pm

{ 6 comments… read them below or add one }

1 judyann August 2, 2009 at 4:36 pm

Gosh! I read the stories about how you all become a mariner and the accomplishment of sea time and it seemed so easy. I am a single parent for 17 years now, and had not really been exposed to the world of experience.
I’ve recieved my TWIC and MMD, and am now instructed to continue logging in to msc.com for available positions. No problem, but in the meantime, while i wait for that opening, is there a place that i could seek futher knowledge in getting ahead to prepare myself for a better position?
I don’t have the finance to pay for trainings that require a higher position, i am a new recruit, but can you please share what to do and where i can start? I will do my best to learn what it takes to get a move on to become a mariner.
I have asked questions, but it seems i am not gettting anywhere. For the past 2 months i have been on the different websites, and still feel lost in the process.
I hope you will consider helping me through this. Just so that you will know, i was also instructed to read into the “code of federal regulations”, and i did. THANK YOU for your time.

just me in GUAM

2 new recruit August 2, 2009 at 4:45 pm

3 marcia macone August 17, 2009 at 5:43 pm

Can I get my ordinary seaman MMD without seatime as an entry level if not how do I aquire sea time to get a job?

4 Matt McMahon September 8, 2009 at 7:14 pm

Hi Tim, Good job on the T.W.I.C & MMD info!!!! I just moved from the Port Townsend area . One of those pictures looks like Mats Mats Bay in Port Ludlow??? I’m in the process of obtaining my Twic & Mmd card!! Have you heard of the Paul Hall center in M.d?? Check it out!! Best luck!! Matt

5 Ronald October 5, 2009 at 8:58 pm

Hi, my name is Ronald I separated from the Navy Jan 08. Since then I’ve being pursuing a career as a Merchant Mariner as well as going to this technical college call West GA. Technical College. Well I graduate from west GA. Technical College Oct 15, 2009, and I have all valid documents Passport, TWIC, and Merchant Mariner Credential with wiper endorsement. But come to find out having just an entry level endorsement is not enough to gain employment. I found out that I’m eligible to test for the QMED endorsement but I have no good studying material. I was wondering do you have any suggestion of where I can acquirer some kind of textbook to prepare myself.

6 Ed February 24, 2010 at 6:59 am

Tim
Enjoyed your note. I undestand where you are coming from with sea time. I am on the water a fair amount but with a boat that will cruise at 30 you realy don’t need 4 hours do do anything in the south sound. Being in the CG Aux helps.
Ed